From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Bank Mergers
Mains level : Read the attached story
The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister has approved the mega consolidation of ten PSBs into four which include the –
- Amalgamation of Oriental Bank of Commerce and United Bank of India into Punjab National Bank
- Amalgamation of Syndicate Bank into Canara Bank
- Amalgamation of Andhra Bank and Corporation Bank into Union Bank of India
- Amalgamation of Allahabad Bank into Indian Bank
About the merger
- The amalgamation would be effective from 1.4.2020 and would result in creation of seven large PSBs with scale and national reach with each amalgamated entity having a business of over Rupees Eight lakh crore.
- The Mega consolidation would help create banks with scale comparable to global banks and capable of competing effectively in India and globally.
- Greater scale and synergy through consolidation would lead to cost benefits which should enable the PSBs enhance their competitiveness and positively impact the Indian banking system.