From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : PMGKAY
Mains level : Assurance of Food Security
The Union Cabinet has approved the extension of Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) as part of Economic Response to COVID-19, for another five months from July to November 2020.
Practice question for mains:
Q.Discuss how the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana has helped to ensure food security to the vulnerable sections of India during the Covid-19 induced lockdown period.
PM- Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana
- Under the scheme it is proposed to distribute 9.7 Lakh MT cleaned whole Chana to States/UTs for distribution to all beneficiary households under the National Food Security Act, 2013 (NFSA).
- Thus it would 1kg per month free of cost under for the next five months -July to November 2020.
- All expenses on the extended PMGKAY are to be borne by the Central Government.
- About 19.4 crore households would be covered under the Scheme.
Benefits of the scheme
- Extension of the scheme is in line with the commitments of the GOI to allow anybody, especially any poor family, to suffer on account of non-availability of food grains due to disruption during next five months.
- Free distribution of whole Chana will also ensure adequate availability of protein to all the above-mentioned individuals during these five months.