From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : PMMSY, E Gopala
Mains level : Fisheries sector of India
PM will digitally launch the PM Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) today.
PM Matsya Sampada Yojana
- The PMMSY aims to bring about the Blue Revolution through sustainable and responsible development of the fisheries sector in India.
- It has an estimated investment of Rs. 20,050 crores for its implementation during a period of 5 years from FY 2020-21 to FY 2024-25 in all States/UTs, as a part of AatmaNirbhar Bharat Package.
- PMMSY aims at enhancing fish production by an additional 70 lakh tonne by 2024-25, increasing fisheries export earnings to Rs.1,00,000 crore by 2024-25.
- Thus it aims doubling of incomes of fishers and fish farmers, reducing post-harvest losses from 20-25% to about 10% and generation of gainful employment opportunities in the sector.
Aims and objectives of PMMSY
- Harnessing of fisheries potential in a sustainable, responsible, inclusive and equitable manner
- Enhancing of fish production and productivity through expansion, intensification, diversification and productive utilization of land and water
- Modernizing and strengthening of the value chain – post-harvest management and quality improvement
- Doubling fishers and fish farmers incomes and generation of employment
- Enhancing contribution to Agriculture GVA and exports
- Social, physical and economic security for fishers and fish farmers
- Robust fisheries management and regulatory framework
The PMMSY will be implemented as an umbrella scheme with two separate components namely:
(a) Central Sector Scheme and
(b) Centrally Sponsored Scheme
- Majority of the activities under the Scheme would be implemented with the active participation of States/UTs.
- A well-structured implementation framework would be established for the effective planning and implementation of PMMSY.
- For optimal outcomes, ‘Cluster or area-based approach’ would be followed with requisite forward and backward linkages and end to end solutions.
Other inaugurations: e-Gopala App
- e-Gopala App is a comprehensive breed improvement marketplace and information portal for direct use of farmers.
- At present no digital platform is available in the country for farmers managing livestock including buying and selling of disease-free germplasm in all forms (semen, embryos, etc); availability of quality breeding services and guiding farmers for animal nutrition etc.
- There is no mechanism to send alerts (on the due date for vaccination, pregnancy diagnosis, calving etc) and inform farmers about various government schemes and campaigns in the area.
- The e-Gopala App will provide solutions to farmers on all these aspects.