From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Project RE-HAB
Mains level : Man-Animal Conflict
Buoyed by the success of its innovative Project RE-HAB (Reducing Elephant-Human Attacks using Bees) in Karnataka, Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has now replicated the project in Assam.
- Project RE-HAB is a sub-mission of KVIC’s National Honey Mission.
- Under the project, “Bee-fences” are created by setting up bee boxes in the passageways of elephants to block their entrance to human territories.
- The boxes are connected with a string so that when elephants attempt to pass through, a tug or pull causes the bees to swarm the elephant herds and dissuade them from progressing further.
- It is a cost-effective way of reducing human-wild conflicts without causing any harm to the animals.
How does it work?
- It is scientifically recorded that elephants are annoyed by the honey bees.
- Elephants also fear that the bee swarms can bite the sensitive inner side of the trunk and eyes.
- The collective buzz of the bees is annoying to elephants that force them to return.