From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : REMCL
Mains level : Paper3- Railways to become Zero Carbon emission mass transport
A new dawn ushers on Indian Railways as it endeavors to be self-reliant for its energy needs as directed by the Prime Minister and solarise railway stations by utilizing its vacant lands for Renewable Energy (RE) projects.
Moving towards ‘Net Zero’ Carbon Emission Railways
- The Ministry of Railways has decided to install solar power plants on its vacant unused lands on mega-scale.
- The use of solar power will accelerate the mission to achieve a conversion of Indian Railways to ‘Net Zero’ Carbon Emission Railway.
- Railway Energy Management Company Ltd. (REMCL) is working to further proliferate the use of solar energy on mega scale.
- It has already floated tenders for 2 GW of solar projects for Indian Railways to be installed on unutilised railway lands.
Projects along operational railway lines
- Indian Railways is also adopting an innovative concept of installation of solar projects along operational railway lines.
- This will help in preventing encroachment, enhancing the speed and safety of trains and reduction of infrastructure costs due to direct injection of solar power into the traction network.
- With these mega initiatives, Indian Railways is leading India’s fight against climate challenge.
- These are significant steps towards meeting its ambitious goal of being a net zero carbon emissions organisation and meeting India’s Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDC) targets.