From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Eublepharis pictus
Mains level : NA
A gecko found in Visakhapatnam in 2017, then thought to belong to a known species, has now been identified as a member of a new species.
- The species, Eublepharis pictus, also known as the Painted Leopard Gecko, has been described in the journal Evolutionary Systematics.
- Phylogenetic study and morphological comparisons have distinguished it as a new species.
- It is endemic to the forests of Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
- The gecko genus Eublepharis now has 7 species.
- The species occurs outside protected areas.
- Most leopard geckos are killed when encountered.
- Activists have called for raising awareness about the fact that the species is actually harmless.