From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : CAPFs
Mains level : Paper 3- Role of CAPFs in disaster management.
The article emphasises the role played by the CAPFs in dealing with the disasters.
Dealing with the disasters
- When disaster strikes our country, be it natural or man-made, the government summons the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) to carry out the task of overcoming the disaster.
- The CAPFs help in carrying out rescue and relief operations, and also mitigates the pains and problems arising out of the disaster.
Role played by CAPFS during Covid
- CAPFs comprise the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Border Security Force, Central Industrial Security Force, Sashastra Seema Bal, Assam Rifles and the ITBP.
- Even before the country got to know about the COVID-19, the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) had already set up its 600-bed quarantine centre in Chawla on the outskirts of New Delhi.
- The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare had roped in specialists from the Safdarjung Hospital to coordinate with ITBP officials.
- Doctors and paramedical personnel of other CAPFs were also roped in.
- The expertise acquired by ITBP personnel and the Standard Operating Procedure prepared by the ITBP came handy for the States and other police forces in establishing their own quarantine centres and COVID-19 hospitals.
Role of NDRF during Covid-19
- NDRF personnel are wholly drawn from the CAPFs.
- So, they form a good reserve of trained personnel when they go back to their parent force after their stint with NDRF.
- With 12 battalions of the NDRF— each comprising 1,149 personnel — spread across the country, its experts have the core competency to tackle biological disasters like COVID-19.
- Such personnel can be deployed at quarantines centres after short-term courses.
- A proposal mooted by NITI Aayog last year, to conduct a bridge course for dentists to render them eligible for the MBBS degree, could be revived, and such doctors could be on stand-by to help in such emergency crises.
It is these CAPF personnel who give a semblance of existence of government administration even in the remotest corners of the country. Their versatile experience can be utilised to the nation’s advantage.
The Central Armed Police Forces refers to uniform nomenclature of five security forces in India under the authority of Ministry of Home Affairs. Their role is to defend the national interest mainly against the internal threats.