From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : NA
Mains level : Infodemic Management
Managing the “infodemic” has been a serious challenge during the COVID-19 pandemic, says a Chief Scientist at World Health Organization (WHO).
Try this question for mains:
Q.‘Infodemic’ management these days has become a greater challenge than the actual course of pandemic management. Discuss.
- Infodemic implies too much information, including false or misleading information, particularly on social media.
- It has led to confusion, risk-taking and ultimately mistrust towards governments and the public health response.
WHO framework for infodemics
- The WHO has a framework for managing the coronavirus infodemic.
- Infodemiology is now acknowledged by public health organizations and the WHO as an important emerging scientific field and critical area of practice during a pandemic.
- From the perspective of being the first “infodemiolgist” who originally coined the term almost two decades ago, the author posts four pillars of infodemic management:
- Information monitoring (infoveillance)
- Building eHealth Literacy and science literacy capacity
- Encouraging knowledge refinement and quality improvement processes such as fact-checking and peer-review
- Accurate and timely knowledge translation, minimizing distorting factors such as political or commercial influences