Here are Back2Basics collections from today’s news items
B2B #1: [pib] Unnat Bharat Abhiyan 2.0
Unnat Bharat Abhiyan
- This is an HRD Ministry initiative launched in 2014 with the two-fold aim to provide rural India with professional resource support from institutes of higher education in the field of STEM
- And Building institutional capacity in Institutes of higher education in research & training relevant to the needs of rural India
- This programme will be launched in collaboration with the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT), Indian Institutes of Science Education & Research (IISERs) and the National Institutes of Technology (NITs) throughout the country
- Each IIT/NIT/IISER will identify 10 villages in its neighbourhood and work out technologies to solve the most pressing issues of the region
- Various teams from these institutes will visit the villages, identify problems and then aim to find financially-viable schemes.
B2B #2: NCTE amendment Bill passed
National Council for Teacher Education
- National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) is a statutory body of Indian government set up under the National Council for Teacher Education Act, 1993 in 1995
- It has been established to formally oversee standards, procedures and processes in the Indian education system
- This council functions for the central as well as state governments on all matter with regard to the Teacher Education
- undertake surveys and studies pertaining to all aspects of the teacher education and publish the corresponding results
- For the preparation of suitable plans and programmes regarding the field of teacher education, it makes recommendations to both the state and central governments, universities, University Grants Commission (UGC), and other recognised institutions.
- it coordinates and monitors the teacher education system throughout the country.
- it lays down the guideline for the minimum qualifications need for an individual to be a teacher in schools and recognised institutions.
- it lays downs guidelines for the provision of physical and infrastructural facilities, staffing pattern etc. for the compliance by recognised institutions.
- it lays down standards with respect to examinations, the major criteria for such admission as well as schemes for courses or training.
- it promotes and conducts research and innovation in schools and recognised institutions and then disseminates the results thereof.
- it examines its own laid-down guidelines, norms and standards for the improvement.
- it identifies the recognised institutions and set up new institutions for the developmental programmes of teacher education system.
- it takes up necessary steps for the prevention of the commercialisation of teacher education.
- it also performs other function that is entrusted to it by the central government
Here’s a Factoid to brush up your concepts
Name : BIOFIN
Objective : UNDP in October 2012 launched the Biodiversity Finance Initiative – BIOFIN
Category : Environment