Aspirants, UPSC 2023 is around 8 months away and it is high time now to start Essay writing. A lot of aspirants delay it till the post-prelims phase, considering the weightage of this Exam (250 marks in mains), this is a poor strategy and a recipe for disaster.
Before you get into the Prelims 2023 zone, which will be from Feb, you must utilize the next few months (Oct-Feb) for Essay particularly.
CivilsDaily is pleased to launch Essay Essential Program 2023 and this time we have made it holistic for you. One of the changes is lectures, that Zeeshan sir will be imparting skills in Essay writing.
Table of content:
- About Essay Writing for UPSC-CSE
- Essay Program Details: Essay Essential Plus Program 2023 with Zeeshan sir’s mentorship and Essay Essential Program 2023
- Program inclusion and Course Fee
- Experience of our 2022 batch of students
Essay writing for UPSC-CSE
- Two essays are given and have to be written in under 3 hours in 1000-1200 words. Each essay carries 125 marks for a total of 250
- The essay paper is divided into two sections- Section A and Section B. Each section carries a choice of 4 essays, and the aspirants have to choose only one essay from each section.
- The instructions in the syllabus are clear in what is expected from aspirants. And Aspirants are expected to keep their thoughts closely to the subject and arrange their ideas accordingly. It further states that credit is given for effective and coherent expression
- The underline keywords are super important because, after content, these are the exact parameters on which the essay will be evaluated.
Essay writing is an important component of the Civil Services Examination (CSE), which tries to gauge the writing skills, knowledge, critical thinking, imagination, and creativity of the candidates. Particularly, in the UPSC CSE (Main), scoring well in the Essay paper, which is allocated a decent share of 250 marks, has become crucial to final selection into the coveted services like IAS, IPS, IFS, etc.
In the Essay paper, the UPSC demands certain attributes, which focus on “conciseness, relevance, and effective and exact expression” of the views presented, in an orderly fashion. However, the scenario may not be as simple as it appears. This segment is not easy to master, and getting a good score in an Essay has always been a challenge for the aspirants.
An essay is an organized piece of writing. This means that it consists of several paragraphs which are arranged in such a way that there is a beginning, a middle, and an end.
Although many say that practice makes one perfect, in the case of UPSC essays practice alone is not enough. To clear and get top rank in UPSC, certain things are required, like; Accurate basic structure, Body Keywords, Central idea of the thesis statement, Brainstorming, Adding elements, PESTLE analysis, Outlining the essay, Sticking to the word and time limit, fitting introduction and mark-leaving conclusion, Quotes, Etc.
And for a beginner, acquiring all these concepts, dimensions, and solutions required to solve is nothing but deep pain.
Writing a good essay can be very challenging and confusing. Time and again we’ve received many queries from students like:
- Reviews provide additional points but don’t address the inherent shortcomings and deficiencies in my skills.
- Will reading ready-made sample essays help me prepare for essays?
- Don’t know how to start an essay, or how to organize one.
- Can we do well in essays without practicing by re-using our GS paper knowledge alone?
- Is there a universal format that I can stick to?
- Content related- some suffer from information overload others from information deficit.
- Importance of rough work for essays.
- Difficulty in balancing time and quality in both topics.
That’s why we’ve invested a great deal of energy to create a program the likes of which are offered by no one else
Civilsdaily’s Essay Programs 2023
Civilsdaily’s Essay program is now complete with Essay Writing, Test series, evaluation, and 1-1 mentorship component.
There are two variants this time:
- Essay Essential Program 2023 with lectures and 1-1 mentorship
- Essay Essential Program Plus 2023 with lectures and Zeeshan sir’s mentorship
What are we offering and how is it unique?
What makes CivilsDaily’s program distinctive is – its process-driven approach. The process may have some common minimum steps for all but your individuality in the form of your essay writing is paramount. Here comes the role of a mentor with whom a reliable one-to-one discussion will certainly be a game-changer.
Not information-centric but rather an analytical and critical style of Essay writing. Our focus is on personalized attention in evaluation, execution, and course correction.
Essay writing and foundation-building lectures by Zeeshan sir
Zeeshan sir will be taking 15 lectures covering different themes and frameworks for UPSC Essays. These lectures will form the foundation of your content for the essay.
Zeeshan sir will also be discussing different frameworks for writing an Essay.
- Orientation Session – brainstorming, thesis statement, types of introduction, way to conclude, main body arguments, and their organization in your essay.
- Pre-test discussion on the theme for building the arguments and content.
- Post-test one-on-one discussion with an evaluated copy.
Highly relevant, precise, and thoughtful topic selection
Our research tells us there are 8 broad themes of essays being asked since 2010 – Economy, Polity, Women Issues, Education, Science & Tech, Philosophy, IR, Miscellaneous.
- Social Issues- Women Issues, Social Movements, Class, Caste, Youth, Geriatric
- Political System and Governance
- Human Development- Health, Education, Employment
- Science & Technology- IT/ITeS, AI
- Ethical, Abstract or Philosophical,
An innovative methodology for reviews
Our biggest innovation lies in our review methodology. Specific portions of your essay will be highlighted with symbols to indicate issues in essay writing:
- Fundamental Flaws like judgments/strong postures that you need to be avoided at all costs.
- Appreciation for uniqueness.
- Structure is not maintained. Issues with Language and expression.
- General Suggestions for candidates.
Along with this, Zeeshan sir and senior mentors will also leave specific reviews on strengths and weaknesses.
We don’t want to merely suggest additional points that can be googled by the student or point out superficial flaws like not ‘sticking to the topic’. They don’t necessarily highlight the shortcomings in the essay. This adds very little value to students. We go much beyond that and help students fix major flaws in their essays.
10 parameters on which your essays are going to get evaluated
- Comprehension of the Essay topic
- Language and Expression of Essay writing
- Structure and Organization of thought.
- Objectivity and Biases. Balance of perception
- Attitude whether a learner or judgmental
- Focus and attention
- Content, Knowledge, and information processing capability
- Ability to forge links in an interdisciplinary manner
- The simplicity of disposition
- Observational Skills
Model essays with indicative structure and good essay copies
You will be provided with good essay copies to serve as sample answers. This is a better alternative than sample answers which are hastily written and at times not updated with the latest figures.
Students have an incorrect impression that going through a sample essay will somehow help them write better essays. This is incorrect.
To develop your competency in tackling different topics, you have to be able to come up with appropriate structures. This aspect of the program addresses this issue.
The expectation from you would be that you study the solutions in detail and try to address the shortcomings in your essays. Should doubts persist, we’re here to help.
One-to-one Mentorship and CivilsDaily’s handholding
This component of the program is the most important. Post-evaluation of your essay test you will get on a one-to-one discussion with senior mentors and in the case of Essay Essential Plus Program 2023 with Zeeshan sir. You will be discussing the topics in considerable depth, appropriate structure, pitfalls to avoid, etc.
Along with that, Sir will also discuss copies presenting different styles in which the essays could be attempted.
Membership to an exclusive community
Habitat is our learning platform, here you’ll be given membership to an exclusive Essay group. This group will be administered by Zeeshan sir, Sajal sir, in-service officers, rankers, and other mentors.
For essays, you need multiple perspectives to understand a topic or an issue in its entirety. You need discussions; arguments; confluence, confrontation, and integration of ideas. Here, discussions will be facilitated by mentors and enriched by different viewpoints from peers. Moreover, you can ask and discuss any of your doubts with peers and Zeeshan sir.
Besides these, you will be given the following
- Any additional material that we release for essays.
- Notes and reference material including good articles, essays, etc. on Habitat group.
- 8 FLTs before Prelims and 5 FLTs Post Prelims
- Zeeshan sir’s lectures that will include – Orientation, Process building session, Content/approach building session.
- Model essays
- One-to-one mentorship
- In Essay Essential Program 2023 by senior mentors
- In Essay Essential Plus Program 2023 by Zeeshan sir
- Membership in an exclusive Essay group on Habitat
- Notes and references as required
- Topic-wise arranged PYQs
Essay Essential Program 2023: Rs 12,000 + GST = Rs 14,160
Essay Essential Plus Program 2023 with Zeeshan sir’s mentorship: Rs 16000 + GST = Rs 18,880
(Admission to Essay Essential Plus Program 2023 is subject to Zeeshan sir’s discretion)