One of these questions would have application of Tikdams. Tikdams are smart hacks which help you arrive at the right answer with basic knowledge. Broadly speaking, there are 2 types:
- Elimination Tikdams: Extrapolate your basic knowledge to eliminate options which appear out of context. Zero down on 2 choices and then mark the question as per your risk appetite
- Estimation Tikdams: Read the question well and work out the answer from within the options – Most of the times UPSC plays with words or embeds clues within the question. A smart aspirant figures them out!
With strong basics and regular practice, you will be able to arrive at a very robust Tikdam framework of your own. To know more, read about this technique here, IAS 2016 by Dr. V & Tikdams
Q.1) Consider the following statement with respect to Malaria: (With TIKDAM)
1. Malaria is a mosquito-borne infectious disease affecting humans and other animals caused by Virus belonging to the Plasmodium type.
2. The disease is most commonly transmitted by an infected female Anopheles mosquito.
3. Five species of Plasmodium can infect and be spread by humans.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
a) All of the above
b) 2 and 3 only
c) 1 and 3
d) 1 and 2
Malaria is a mosquito-borne infectious disease affecting humans and other animals caused by parasitic Protozoans belonging to the Plasmodium type.
The questions looks very difficult since it is almost impossible to remember how many species of Plasmodium can infect and be spread by humans. However using Tikdam technique we can easily solve the question. For example, statement 1 can be easily eliminated since it is a very basic fact that Malaria is the only famous disease not caused by Virus and Bacteria. It is caused by Protozoan(6th class Biology).
Once we eliminate statement 1 we can automatically solve the question without even knowing statement 3.
Q.2) With reference to the ‘Electoral Bonds’ which of the following statements is/are correct?
1. They cannot be purchased by Cheque
2. It is an instrument for making donations to political parties.
Select the correct option using the codes given below.
a) Both 1 and 2
b) 1 only
c) Neither 1 nor 2
d) 2 only
Q.3) The ‘Peace Clause’, recenly seen in news, is related to which of the following organisation?
a) International Court of Justice
b) World Trade Organisation
d) Organisation of Islamic Cooperation
Q.4) The famous case of National Legal Services Authority(NALSA) Vs. Union of India was related to
a) Fundamental Rights of Physically Disabled persons
c) Minorities other than Muslims
d) Fundamental Rights of Transgenders
Q.5) Consider the following statement regarding the ‘UNAIDS’:
1. It is a member of the United Nations Development Group.
2. It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
a) Both are correct
b) 1 only
c) 2 only
d) Neither 1 nor 2
Q.6) The increasing amount of carbon dioxide in the air is slowly raising the temperature of the atmosphere, because it absorbs
a) the water vapour of the air and retains its heat
b) the UV part of the solar radiation
c) all the solar radiations
d) the infrared part of the solar radiation
Q.7) Which one of the following sets of elements was primarily responsible for the origin of life on the Earth?
a) Hydrogen, Oxygen, Sodium
b) Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen
c) Oxygen, Calcium, Phosphorous
d) Carbon, Hydrogen, Potassium
Q.8) What are the reasons for the people’s resistance to the introduction of BT brinjal in India?
1. BT brinjal has been created by inserting a gene from a soil fungus into its genome.
2. the seeds of BT brinjal are terminator seeds and therefore, the farmers have to buy the seeds before every season from the seed companies.
3. there is an apprehension that the consumption of BT brinjal may have adverse impact on health.
4. there is some concern that the introduction of BT brinjal may have adverse effect on the biodiversity.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below.
a) 1, 2 and 3 only
b) 2 and 3 only
c) 3 and 4 only
d) 1,2,3 and 4
1. Daily newscards have been enriched with back2basics and note2students – Make notes daily
2. Liked Tikdams? Join our Flagship TS which helps you perfect this approach – Flagship Prelims for IAS 2018
3. For attempting previous Prelims Daily Questions – Click here