- Recently Union Minister of Science & Technology inaugurated the National Centre for Clean Coal Research and Development at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc)-Bengaluru. The question in on based on this news.
- One has to explain the concept of clean coal technology, and also in what way it has a key role to play in terms of higher efficiency, lower operating costs and size and India’s carbon emission reduction.
- Define what is Clean coal technology
- In the main body, discuss how clean coal technology is a collection of technologies being developed in attempts to lessen the negative environmental impact of coal energy generation and to mitigate worldwide climate change.
- The term “clean coal” has been applied to many technologies, ranging from wet scrubbers, which remove sulfur dioxide from coal-generated gas, to coal washing, which removes soil and rock from coal before it’s sent to a factory.
- In the main body, discuss how the research in the clean coal domain could potentially be game-changer for meeting the energy needs of the country in terms of higher efficiency and capacity at lower operating costs and size.
- Also, mention the challenges in its pursuit and way forward.