- This question asks about how the concept of secularism could pose challenges to cultural practices.
- In the intro, briefly describe India’s approach to secularism.
- In the body, describe instances that involve the conflict between the idea of secularism and our cultural practices.
- Such instances could be Sabarimala verdict, cultural tradition vs secular tradition-Challenging appointment of priests on the basis of Agamas, Challenging of Triple talaq and polygamy practiced by the Muslims for long, banning of certain food consumed by a section of society by the government, demand for Uniform Civil code, Jallikattu issue.
- Conclude by the stressing need to balance the two- the need for the secular ethos in the society and preservation of our culture.