From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : One Stop Centre Scheme
Mains level : Read the attached story
- In a significant move towards women’s safety and empowerment, the Union Minister for Women and Child Development recently announced the establishment of One Stop Centres (OSCs) in over 700 districts across the nation.
About One Stop Centre Scheme
- Central Sponsorship: The One Stop Centre scheme is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme developed under the aegis of the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD).
- Inception: The scheme has been in operation since April 1, 2015, with a primary focus on addressing Gender-Based Violence.
- Universal Reach: The One Stop Centre Scheme is committed to aiding all women, including girls below 18 years, who have suffered violence. Regardless of caste, class, religion, region, sexual orientation, or marital status, all women are eligible for support.
- Protection for Minors: For girls below 18 years of age, the scheme collaborates with institutions and authorities established under the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2000, and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses Act, 2012.
Objectives of the One Stop Centre Scheme
- Holistic Support: The core objective is to provide comprehensive and integrated support to women who have endured violence, whether in private or public spaces. All assistance is conveniently accessible under one roof.
- Immediate Access: These centres ensure immediate access to a wide array of services encompassing medical, legal, psychological, and counseling support. This collective approach stands resolute against all forms of violence targeting women.
Funding and Administration
- Financial Backing: The Scheme receives its funding through the Nirbhaya Fund, with the Central Government providing 100% financial assistance.
- Local Administration: Day-to-day implementation and administrative responsibilities rest with the District Collector/District Magistrate.
Services Offered by OSCs
The One Stop Centres serve as a lifeline for women in need, offering an array of essential services:
- Emergency Response and Rescue Services
- Medical Assistance
- Assistance with lodging FIR/ NCR/DIR
- Psycho-social Support and Counseling
- Legal Aid and Counseling
- Video Conferencing Facility