From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Indian Ocean Conference (IOC)
Mains level : Read the attached story
- The 7th Edition of Indian Ocean Conference (IOC) is being held in Perth, Australia.
About Indian Ocean Conference (IOC)
- IOC started in 2016, serving as the premier consultative forum for countries in the Indian Ocean region on regional affairs.
- The first edition of the Conference was held in Singapore in 2016.
- It is organised by India Foundation in partnership with other organizations in the region.
- It aims to bring together critical states and maritime partners to discuss regional cooperation under the concept of Security and Growth for All in the Region (SAGAR).
What is SAGAR?
- SAGAR stands for ‘Security and Growth for All in the Region’ and was initiated by PM Narendra Modi in 2015 at Mauritius.
- It aims to leverage the blue economy and maintain strategic partnerships with littoral states in Asia and Africa.
- It seeks to provide leadership in capacity building and capability enhancement programs transparently, aligning with other maritime initiatives like Act East Policy, Project Mausam, and Blue Economy.
Key Statements by Dignitaries this Year
- Challenges to International Rule of Law: EAM S. Jaishankar highlighted challenges to international rule of law from the Red Sea to the Indo-Pacific, implicitly targeting China’s actions.
- Call for Conflict Reduction: Australian Foreign Minister emphasized the necessity of reducing conflict in the region amid growing tensions.
- Veiled References to China’s Actions: Jaishankar made indirect references to China’s troop buildup at the Line of Actual Control and actions in the South China Sea, stressing the importance of adhering to internationally negotiated regimes.