From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : NA
Mains level : AUKUS, significance and challenges
- The AUKUS security partnership between the United States, Australia, and the United Kingdom has important implications for Australia’s plans to operate a fleet of nuclear-powered submarines, with potential drawbacks.
What is AUKUS?
- Trilateral Partnership: AUKUS is a trilateral security partnership between Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States, announced on September 15, 2021. The partnership involves cooperation in various areas, including defence and security, technology, and climate change.
- Indo-Pacific region a primary focus: The AUKUS partnership is primarily focused on the Indo-Pacific region and aims to counter China’s growing influence in the region. As part of the partnership, Australia will acquire nuclear-powered submarines from the United States and the United Kingdom, which is seen as a significant shift in Australia’s defence posture.
- Promote Peace and stability: The three countries have emphasized that the partnership is not aimed at any specific country and is intended to promote peace and stability in the Indo-Pacific region.
Australia’s AUKUS Dilemma
- AUKUS Pathway Impact: Announcement about optimal pathway for AUKUS has implications for Australia’s plans to operate a fleet of nuclear-powered submarines
- Opposition from Regional Partners: Regional partners oppose Royal Australian Navy operating nuclear attack submarines, posing a challenge for Australia’s deterrence capabilities against potential adversaries
What are the Options for Australia’s Nuclear Submarines?
- Following AUKUS consultations, three main options have emerged,
- US builds nuclear-powered attack submarines for Australia
- UK expands Astute-class program to Australia
- Trilateral effort to develop a new nuclear submarine design
What are the Challenges and Complexities for Australia’s Nuclear Submarines
- US uncertain on Australis’s nuclear subs: US Policymakers are sceptical about building nuclear-powered attack submarines for Australia due to national security concerns
- UK’s Dreadnought hinders Australia’s submarine expansion: UK’s construction of Dreadnought-class ballistic-missile submarine program and differences between Australian and American fleets pose a challenge for expanding Astute-class program to Australia
- Nuclear design challenges: Trilateral effort to develop a new nuclear submarine design faces challenges related to U.S. export controls and technology transfer agreement
- Nuclear tech complex and risky globally: The nuclear technology is complicated under the international system and poses potential proliferation risks.
The AUKUS Partnership: Implications for India
- Increased security cooperation: The partnership between Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States is likely to lead to increased security cooperation in the Indo-Pacific region. This could help to balance out China’s growing military and economic power in the region and could create opportunities for India to work more closely with these countries on shared security concerns.
- Potential for technological collaboration: AUKUS includes cooperation in technology and could lead to opportunities for India to collaborate with the three countries in areas such as artificial intelligence, quantum computing, and cybersecurity. This could help to bolster India’s technological capabilities and could lead to new opportunities for trade and investment.
- Impact on regional dynamics: The announcement of AUKUS could have a significant impact on regional dynamics in the Indo-Pacific, particularly in terms of how other countries in the region respond. India will need to carefully navigate these dynamics and ensure that its own interests are protected.
- The AUKUS security partnership has significant implications for Australia’s defence capabilities and strategic positioning in maritime Asia. However, it poses significant challenges and risks. Even with its closest allies, the U.S. faces difficulties transferring technology, highlighting the challenges for India and other countries in acquiring critical technology from the U.S. The AUKUS developments may have broader implications for regional security and nuclear technology.
Q. Evaluate the broader implications of the AUKUS developments for regional security and nuclear technology.
Are you an IAS Worthy Aspirant? Get a reality check with the All India Smash UPSC Scholarship Test
Get upto 100% Scholarship | 900 Registration till now | Only 100 Slots Left