From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Disaster Management Act 2005
Mains level : Paper 2- Governance issues during pandemic
Order under Disaster Management Act 2015
- Invoking the Disaster Management Act, the Centre ordered States that all liquid oxygen shall be made available to the government and will be used for medical purposes only.
- The order said that under section 10(2)(I) and section 65 of the DM Act, States had to ensure that “liquid oxygen is not allowed for any non medical purpose”
- The order was passed after the review of oxygen supply situation in the country.
Dealing with the shortage
- On April 22, Centre issued order under the DM Act, making the district magistrates and senior superintendent of police personally liable to allow unhindered inter-State movement of vehicles carrying medical oxygen.
- Despite MHA’s orders and letters, States continued to flag shortage of oxygen supply.
- Medical oxygen to States are being provided as per daily quota decided by an empowered group of officers in central ministries.