From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Disaster Management Act
Mains level : Paper 2- Powers of Election Commission
What prompted ECI to give clarification
- In its oral observations, the Madras High Court blamed the ECI for the second wave of COVID-19 in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
- The Madras High Court said the ECI was unable to ensure political parties followed the rules while campaigning for the Assembly elections.
What the ECI said
- The ECI said that the enforcement under the 2005 Act has to be ensured by the SDMA [State Disaster Management Authority] concerned and notified authorities under the Act.
- The Commission has always emphasised that the State authorities shall ensure COVID-19 compliance in the matter of public gatherings, etc. for campaign purposes.
- At no occasion, the Commission takes over the task of SDMA for enforcement of COVID-19 instructions.