From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Kheer Bhawani Mela
Mains level : NA
In the UT of Jammu and Kashmir, the Annual Kheer Bhawani Mela in Tulmulla village of Ganderbal district has been cancelled by its religious trust.
Match the pair based question can be asked from festivals as such. Recently, the following festivals were in the news: Ambubachi Mela, Thrisoor Puram, Meru Jatara, Nagoba Jatara etc.
Q. Consider the following pairs:
1. Chaliha Sahib Festival — Sindhis
2. Nanda Raj Jaat Yatra — Gonds
3. Wari-Warkari — Santhals
Which of the pairs given above is/are correctly matched ? (CSP 2017)
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) None of the above
Kheer Bhawani Mela
- The festival witnesses lakhs of Hindu pilgrims from across the country largely the Kashmiri Pandit Community, who throngs the famous Ragyna Devi Temple which is popularly known as “Mata Kheer Bhawani”.
- The festival falls on the auspicious day of “Zeshta Ashtami”.
- The term kheer refers to rice pudding that is offered in the spring to propitiate the Goddess, which became part of the name of the temple.
- The devotees have been asked to cooperate with the authorities and perform the worship of the Goddess at their homes only.
- However, the holy rituals and Aarti of the Deity will be conducted as per the tradition which will be shared with the devotees via social media.
- Kheer Bhawani Mela is one of the biggest religious functions of Kashmiri Pandit Community.
- It is believed and rather has been seen that the colour of the water in the spring around the Kheer Bhawani Temple changes its colour with the change in the circumstances of the Kashmir valley.