From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Not much.
Mains level : Paper 2- International cooperation on dealing with the epidemic.
The Chinese government has mobilised the whole nation with confidence, unity, a science-based approach and targeted response.
Aspects that were focused by China to deal with COVID-19
- Formulated timely strategies for epidemic prevention and control.
- Strengthened a unified command and response in Wuhan and Hubei.
- Coordinated the prevention and control work in other regions.
- Strengthened scientific research, emergency medical and daily necessity supplies.
- Effectively maintained social stability.
- Strengthened public education.
- Actively engaged in international cooperation.
Mutual support between India and China
- China and India have maintained close communication and cooperation on epidemic prevention and control. In a letter to President Xi, India’s Prime Minister has expressed support for China.
- China appreciates the medical supplies provided by India and have helped facilitate the safe return of Indian nationals in Hubei.
- The global footprint of COVID-19: China has been closely following the global footprint of COVID-19.
Cooperation on a global level for disease control:
- Chines govt. will stay in close communication with WHO.
- Share its epidemic control experience with other countries.
- Seek closer international cooperation on medicine and vaccine development.
- Provide assistance to the best of its capabilities to countries and regions that are affected by the spread of the virus in keeping with its role as a responsible major
- The Chinese reach-out: China has provided various kinds of assistance including testing reagents, remote assistance and medical supplies to countries with a severe outbreak.
- Sharing of experience and protocol for treatment: China have shared diagnosis and treatment experience and protocols with many countries including India.
- China is ready to maintain communication with India, share experience in a timely manner, render assistance and make joint efforts to overcome the epidemic.
Impact and recovery of China
- Robust economy: The impact on the Chinese economy will be short-lived and generally manageable. China has a resilient economy with robust domestic demand and a strong industrial base. We will definitely sustain the good momentum of economic and social development and meet the goal of achieving moderate prosperity in our society and eradicating extreme poverty in China.
- Strengthen coordination and communication: China will also strengthen coordination and communication with economic and trading partners and give priority to the resumption of production and supply of leading enterprises and key sectors that have a major impact on the stability of global supply chains.
- The fundamentals of China’s economy will remain strong in the long run, and China will remain an important engine for global economic growth.
The history of civilisation is also one of a history of fighting diseases and a great journey of ceaseless global integration. To prevail over a disease that threatens all, unity and cooperation is the most powerful weapon.