From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Gairsain
Mains level : Two/Three capitals concept
Uttarakhand govt names Gairsain as the new summer capital of the state.
- Gairsain is situated at the eastern edge of the vast Dudhatoli mountain range, located almost at the centre of the state, at a distance of approximately 250 kilometres from Dehradun.
- It is easily accessible from both the Garhwal and the Kumaon divisions, and in a way, acts as the bridge between the two regions.
- Uttarakhand was carved out as a separate state from Uttar Pradesh in 1998.
- Gairsain was best suited to be the capital of the mountainous state as it was a hilly region falling on the border of Kumaon and Garhwal regions.
- But it was Dehradun, located in the plains that served as the temporary capital.
- With the fresh announcement, there is no clarity on either the city’s current status or a new winter capital.
- The state Assembly is located in Dehradun, but sessions are held in Gairsain as well.