From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Indian Bison, Gorumara NP
Mains level : NA
A bison (Indian Gaur) was allegedly poached in Gorumara National Park.
Try this PYQ:
Which one of the following National Parks lies completely in the temperate alpine zone?(CSP 2019)
(a) Manas National Park
(b) Namdapha National Park
(c) Neora Valley National Park
(d) Valley of Flowers National Park
- It is located in the Eastern Himalayas’ submontane Terai belt.
- This region has rolling forests and riverine grasslands, and is known as the Dooars in West Bengal.
- The park is located on the flood plains of the Murti River and Raidak River. The major river of the park is the Jaldhaka river, a tributary of the Brahmaputra river system.
- In this regard, Gorumara is a significant watershed area between the Ganges and Brahmaputra river systems.
- The park is rich in large herbivores including Indian rhinoceros, gaur, Asian elephant, sloth bear, chital, and sambar deer. Small herbivores include barking deer, hog deer and wild boar.
- The Gaur called the Indian bison, is native to South and Southeast Asia and has been listed as Vulnerable on the IUCN Red List since 1986.
- It is the largest species among the wild cattle.
- The domesticated form of the gaur is called gayal (Bos frontalis) or mithun.