From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Humboldt Penguins
Mains level : In-situ conservation
Last week, Mumbai’s Byculla Zoo announced the addition of two new Humboldt penguin chicks this year.
- Humboldt penguins are medium-sized species among at least 17 species.
- The exact number of distinct species is debated, but it is generally agreed that there are between 17 and 19 species.
- The largest, the Emperor penguin, stands at over 4 ft tall while the Little penguin has a maximum height of 1 ft. Humboldt penguins have an average height of just over 2 ft.
- The Humboldt penguin (Spheniscus Humboldt) belongs to a genus that is commonly known as the ‘banded’ group.’
Relation with the Humboldt Oceanic Current
- Humboldt penguins are endemic to the Pacific coasts of Chile and Peru.
- They are so named because their habitat is located near the Humboldt Current, a large oceanic upwelling characterized by cold waters.