Mains Paper 2: IR | India & its neighborhood- relations
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Non-nuclear Aggression Agreement
Mains level: India-Pakistan Strategic Relations
- India and Pakistan has exchanged for the 28th consecutive year a list of their nuclear installations under a bilateral agreement that prohibits them from attacking each other’s atomic facilities.
Non-Nuclear Aggression Agreement
- It is a bilateral and nuclear weapons control treaty between India and Pakistan, on the reduction (or limitation) of nuclear arms and pledged not to attack or assist foreign powers to attack on each other’s nuclear installations and facilities.
- It was signed on December 31, 1988 and came into force on January 27, 1991.
- The agreement says that the two countries will inform each other of nuclear installations and facilities to be covered under the agreement on January 1 of every calendar year.
- The two countries have adhered to the practice of exchanging the lists of prisoners and nuclear installations despite recurring tensions.