From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Mission LiFE
Mains level : Read the attached story
Prime Minister, in the presence of UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, launched ‘Mission LiFE’ (Lifestyle For Environment).
What is Mission LiFE?
- NITI Aayog has conceptualized the idea of mission LiFE.
- It states that the aim of the mission is to follow a three-pronged strategy for changing our collective approach toward sustainability.
- PM elaborated that Mission LiFE emboldens the spirit of the P3 model i.e. Pro Planet People.
- The approach of LiFe campaign includes:
- Focus on individual behaviours: To make life a mass movement (Jan Andolan).
- Co-create globally: Crowdsourcing empirical and scalable ideas
- Leverage Local Cultures: Leverage climate-friendly social norms and beliefs of different cultures worldwide to drive the campaign
Understanding Sustainable living
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the global authority that sets environmental agenda and promotes the implementation of environmental dimension of sustainable development.
- UNEP says that as the population of the world is increasing the demand for food, fashion, travel, housing, etc also increases.
- Hence, a sustainable living approach is necessary to make a balance between the needs of the present generation with that of the future.
- Sustainable living means acknowledging day-to-day life choices and reflecting if there can be alternatives that may impact the environment less.