From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Nilgiri Tahr
Mains level : Not Much
The Tamil Nadu government launched an initiative for the conservation of the Nilgiri Tahr, the State animal.
IUCN Conservation Status: Endangered
Wildlife (Protection) Act of India, 1972: Schedule I
Nilgiri Tahr Conservation Project
- Under The Nilgiri Tahr project, TN government plans to develop a better understanding of the Nilgiri Tahr population through-
- Surveys and radio telemetry studies;
- Reintroduce the Tahrs to their historical habitat;
- Address proximate threats; and
- Increase public awareness of the species.
- The project is to be implemented from 2022 to 2027.
- Furthermore, October 7 will be celebrated as ‘Niligiri Tahr Day’ in honour of E.R.C. Davidar, who was responsible for pioneering one of the first studies of the species in 1975.
Historic significance of Nilgiri Tahr
- There are multiple references to the Nilgiri Tahr in Tamil Sangam literature dating back to 2,000 years.
- The late Mesolithic (10,000-4,000 BC) paintings highlight the significance of the Tahr in folklore, culture and life.
- It was designated as the State animal in recognition of its ecological and cultural significance.
Click and get your FREE Copy of CURRENT AFFAIRS Micro Notes
(Click) FREE 1-to-1 on-call Mentorship by IAS-IPS officers | Discuss doubts, strategy, sources, and more