From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : SUnderlal Bahuguna
Mains level : Various conservation movements in India
Veteran environmentalist and architect of the Chipko Movement Sundarlal Bahuguna, 94 has succumbed to COVID.
Answer this PYQ in the comment box:
Q.In India, the problem of soil erosion is associated with which of the following?
- Terrace cultivation
- Tropical climate
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Bahuguna was one of the leaders of the Chipko movement, fighting for the preservation of forests in the Himalayas.
- Chipko means ‘embrace’ or ‘tree huggers’ and this vast movement was a decentralized one with many leaders usually being village women.
- Often, they would chain themselves to trees so that loggers could not cut down forests.
- These actions slowed down the destruction, but more importantly, they brought deforestation to the public’s attention.
- From 1981-1983, Sundarlal Bahuguna led a 5,000-kilometre march across the Himalayas, ending with a meeting with late PM Indira Gandhi, to protect some areas of the Himalayan forests from tree-felling.
- Sundarlal Bahuguna was also a leader in the movement to oppose the Tehri dam project and in defending India’s rivers.
- He also worked for women’s rights and the rights of the poor.
- His methods were Gandhian, making use of peaceful resistance and non-violence.
- The Chipko Movement received the 1987 Right Livelihood Award, also referred to as the Alternative Nobel Prize.