From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : ‘Apiary on Wheels’, Apiculture
Mains level : Apiculture sector of India
‘Apiary on Wheels’ was recently flagged off today by the Union Minister of MSME.
‘Apiary on Wheels’
- It is a unique concept designed by KVIC for the easy upkeep and migration of Bee Boxes having live Bee colonies.
- It is a platform which can carry 20 Bee Boxes from one place to another without any difficulty.
- It is like an attachment which can be easily connected with a Tractor or a Trolley and may be pulled to any suitable destination.
- Specially, in summers, the beekeepers usually adopted crude methods to feed the bees and many bees used to die in the process.
- This concept of migration, cooling with the help of solar panels and sugar drips with zero risk to the lives of bees, will prevent any damages to the bee boxes or bee colonies and help produce quality honey.
How it works?
- Two large wheels on either side of the Apiary and 4 separate compartments with independent doors, having 5 bee boxes each help the platform to remain intact without disturbing the live bee colonies.
- It is also connected with a solar panel system which automatically triggers a fan inside the compartment as soon as the temperature reaches 35 degree centigrade or above.