From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Coalition of Epidemic Preparedness for Innovation (CEPI)
Mains level : Not Much
Translational Health Science And Technology Institute (THSTI), an autonomous institute of the Department of Biotechnology, has now been recognized by Coalition of Epidemic Preparedness for Innovation (CEPI) as one of the Global Network of Laboratories for centralized assessment of COVID 19 Vaccines.
Note: CEPI is neither a WHO subsidiary nor a UN body .
Coalition of Epidemic Preparedness for Innovation (CEPI)
- The CEPI is a foundation that takes donations to finance independent research projects to develop vaccines against emerging infectious diseases (EID).
- It is focused on the WHO’s “blueprint priority diseases.
- These diseases include the Middle East respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus (MERS-CoV), the SARS coronavirus 2 the Nipah virus, the Lassa fever virus, and the Rift Valley fever virus, as well as the Chikungunya virus and the hypothetical, unknown pathogen “Disease X”.
- CEPI investment also requires “equitable access” to the vaccines during outbreaks.
- CEPI was conceived in 2015 and formally launched in 2017 at the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos, Switzerland.