From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Harvesting festivals across India
Mains level : Not Much
The nation today celebrates the festival of harvest, Vaishakhi under diverse names. Vaisakhi celebrates the solar new year, based on the Hindu Vikram Samvat calendar.
- Vaisakhi also known as Baisakhi is a historical and religious festival in Sikhism.
- It is usually celebrated on 13 or 14 April every year which commemorates the formation of Khalsa panth of warriors under Guru Gobind Singh in 1699.
- In Sikhism, Vaisakhi marks the start of the Khalsa in 1699 by Guru Gobind Singh.
- Maha Bishuba Pana Sankranti (Odisha)
- Bikhu or Bikhauti (Kumaon region of Uttarakhand)
- Bisu (Tulu region of Karnataka)
- Bohag Bihu (Assam)
- Puthandu (Tamil Nadu)
- Vishu (Kerala)
Note: Harvest festivals are significant events. Do try to remember their names as one can expect a match the pair question.