From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Major ports of India
Mains level : Not Much
The Ministry of Shipping has reviewed the development activities of the Vallarpadam Terminal of Cochin Port, envisaged as first trans-shipment port of India.
Try this question from CSP 2016:
Q.Recently, which of the following States has explored the possibility of constructing an artificial inland port to be connected to the sea by a long navigational channel?
(a) Andhra Pradesh
- The Kochi International Container Trans-shipment Terminal (ICTT), locally known as the Vallarpadam Terminal is located strategically on the Indian coastline.
- It is the terminal at the port which handles containers, stores them temporarily and transfers them to other ships for the onward destination.
- It is proposed to be developed as the most preferred gateway for South India and leading transhipment hub of South Asia.
It successfully fulfils all the criteria which are needed to develop it as trans-shipment hub which include:
- It is best positioned Indian port with regard to proximity to International sea routes;
- It is located at least average nautical distance from all Indian feeder ports;
- It entails connectivity which has multiple weekly feeder connections to all ports on West & East Coast of India, From Mundra to Kolkata;
- It has proximity to key hinterland markets of India;
- It has the infrastructure to manage large ships and capacity to scale it up as per requirement.