From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : ICOLD
Mains level : NA
The International Commission on Large Dams (ICOLD) Symposium was inaugurated by the Minister for Jal Shakti.
What is the news?
- ICOLD in collaboration with Central Water Commission (CWC) has organised a Symposium on “Sustainable Development of Dams and River Basins”.
- The symposium is being organised to provide an excellent opportunity to Indian Dam Engineering Professionals and Agencies to share their experiences, ideas and latest developments.
Try this PYQ:
Q.Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched?
Dam: Lake River
(a) Govind Sagar: Satluj
(b) Kolleru Lake: Krishna
(c) Ukai Reservoir: Tapi
(d) Wular Lake: Jhelum
- The ICOLD is an international non-governmental organization dedicated to the sharing of professional information and knowledge of the design, construction, maintenance, and impact of large dams.
- It was founded in 1928 and has its central office in Paris, France.
- It consists of 100 member national committees which have a total membership of about 10,000 individuals.
- The official languages of the commission are English and French.
Key initiatives: World Register of Dams
For the purpose of inclusion in the World Register of Dams, a large dam is defined as any dam above 15 metres in height OR any dam between 10 and 15 metres in height that meets at least one of the following conditions:
- the crest length is not less than 500 metres
- the capacity of the reservoir formed by the dam is not less than one million cubic metres
- the maximum flood discharge dealt with by the dam is not less than 2 000 cubic metres per second
- the dam had especially difficult foundation problems
- the dam is of unusual design