From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Nag River, Godavari Basin and its tributaries
Mains level : River rejuvenation
The Nag River Pollution Abatement Project has been approved under the National River Conservation Plan.
Try this PYQ:
Q.On the planet earth, most of the freshwater exists as ice caps and glaciers. Out of the remaining freshwater, the largest proportion:
(a) is found in the atmosphere as moisture and clouds
(b) is found in freshwater lakes and rivers
(c) exists as groundwater
(d) exists as soil moisture
- The Nag River is a river flowing through the city of Nagpur in Maharashtra.
- It is known for providing the etymology for the name Nagpur. It is a part of the Kanhan-Pench river system.
- The Kanhan River is an important right-bank tributary of the Wainganga River draining a large area lying south of the Satpura range in central India.
- Along its 275 km run through Maharashtra & Madhya Pradesh, it receives its largest tributary – Pench River, a major water source for the metropolis of Nagpur.
- It joins the Wardha River, the united stream, which is known as the Pranahita River, empties into the Godavari River at Kaleshwaram, Telangana.
About the Project
- The Nag River which flows through Nagpur city, thus giving its name to the city, is now a highly polluted water channel of sewage and industrial waste.
- The project, approved under the National River Conservation Plan, will be implemented by the National River Conservation Directorate.
- It will reduce the pollution level in terms of untreated sewage, flowing solid waste, and other impurities flowing into the Nag River and its tributaries.