From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : NATRAX
Mains level : Auto sector updates
Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises has inaugurated the 11.3 km NATRAX- the High-Speed Track (HST) in Indore which is the longest such track in Asia.
- NATRAX, developed in an area of 1000 acres of land is a one-stop solution for all sorts of high-speed performance tests for the widest categories of vehicles from 2 wheelers to heavy tractor-trailers.
- It has multiple test capabilities like measurements of maximum speed, acceleration, constant speed fuel consumption.
- It can conduct emission tests through real road driving simulation, high-speed handling and stability evaluation during manoeuvred such as lane change, high-speed durability testing, etc.
- Also, it is a Centre of excellence for Vehicle Dynamics.
Features of the HST
- The vehicle can achieve a max speed of 375 Kmph on curves with steering control and it has less banking on ovals making it also one of the safest test tracks globally.
- It is the one-stop solution for all sorts of high-speed performance tests, being one of the largest in the world.
- It can cater to the widest category of vehicles; say from two-wheelers to the heaviest tractor trailers
- HST is used for measuring the maximum speed capability of high-end cars like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Tesla and so forth which cannot be measured on any of the Indian test tracks.
- Being centrally located in Madhya Pradesh, it is accessible to most of the major OEMs.
- Foreign OEMs will be looking at NATRAX HST for the development of prototype cars for Indian conditions.
- At present, foreign OEMs go to their respective high-speed track abroad for high-speed test requirements.