From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : PPRTMS
Mains level : Registration of Political parties in India
Election Commission of India (ECI) is set to implement “Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System” (PPRTMS).
- The salient feature in PPRTMS is that the applicant (who is applying for party registration from 1st January, 2020 onwards) will be able to track the progress of his / her application and will get status update through SMS and email.
- It will be implemented through an online portal, to facilitate tracking of status of application by applicants.
- The applicant is required to provide contact mobile number and email address of the party / applicant in his application if he/she wishes to track the progress of the application.
Registration of Political Parties
- The Registration of Political Parties is governed by the provisions of section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
- A party seeking registration under the said section with the Commission has to submit an application to the Commission within a period of 30 days following the date of its formation.
- The application must be in prescribed format with basic particulars about the party such as name, address, membership details of various units, names of office bearers etc.