From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Start-Up Village Entrepreneurship Programme (SVEP)
Mains level : Not Much
The SVEP is propelling enterprises in rural areas and building rural entrepreneurs during this pandemic.
Try this PYQ 2015:
How does the National Rural Livelihood Mission seek to improve livelihood options of rural poor?
- By setting up a large number of new manufacturing industries and agribusiness centres in rural areas.
- By strengthening ‘self-help groups’ and providing skills development
- By supplying seeds, fertilizers, diesel pump-set sand micro-irrigation equipment free of cost of farmers.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- The SVEP is implemented by Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana –National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM), Ministry of Rural Development, as a sub-scheme since 2016.
- Its aims are to support the rural poor come out of poverty, supporting them set up enterprises and provide support till the enterprises stabilize.
- SVEP focuses on providing self-employment opportunities with financial assistance and training in business management and soft skills while creating local community cadres for promotion of enterprises.
- It addresses three major pillars of rural start-ups namely – finances, incubation and skill ecosystems.
Key elements of SVEP
- Create a Block Resource Centre – Enterprise Promotion (BRC-EP); The BRC should act as a nodal centre to implement SVEP. Block Level Federation (BLF) to come up under NRLM could be one of the institutional platforms for BRC.
- Cluster Level Federation (CLF) /VOs shall hold the entity till BLF comes into existence. BRC should follow a self-sustaining revenue model.
- BRC to be assisted by CRP-EP and the Bank Coordination System (Bank Mitra). BRC to provide resource and reference material including videos, manuals etc.
- Help enterprises get bank finance using tablet-based software for making the business feasibility plan, doing credit appraisal and tracking business performance.
- Use the Community Investment Fund (CIF) to provide seed capital for starting the business until it reaches a size where bank finance is needed.