From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Project RE-HAB
Mains level : Man-animal conflict
The forest authorities intend to mitigate human-elephant conflict by installing bee boxes along the periphery of the forest and the villages under the Project RE-HAB.
On similar lines, try this PYQ:
Q.The term ‘M-STrIPES’ is sometimes seen in the news in the context of:
(a) Captive breeding of Wild Fauna
(b) Maintenance of Tiger Reserves
(c) Indigenous Satellite Navigation System
(d) Security of National Highways
- Project RE-HAB stands for Reducing Elephant-Human Attacks using Bees. It is an initiative of the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC).
- It intends to create “bee fences” to thwart elephant attacks in human habitations using honeybees.
- Bee boxes have been placed on the ground as well as hung from the trees.
- The boxes are connected with a string so that when elephants attempt to pass through, a tug causes the bees to swarm the elephant herds and dissuade them from progressing further.
- This idea stems from the elephants’ proven fear of the bees.
Areas covered by the project
- The pilot project was launched at four locations around Chelur village in the Kodagu district of Karnataka.
- These spots are located on the periphery of Nagarahole National Park and Tiger Reserve, known conflict zones.
- The biggest advantage of Project RE-HAB is that it dissuades elephants without causing any harm to them.
- It is extremely cost-effective as compared to various other measures such as digging trenches or erecting fences.