From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Pusa-2090
Mains level : NA
- In response to stubble burning challenge, the Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) has developed Pusa-2090, an improved version of Pusa-44, offering similar yields but with a shorter maturity period.
- Development: IARI developed Pusa-2090 by crossing Pusa-44 with CB-501, an early-maturing Japonica rice line known for stronger stems and higher grain production.
- Advantages: Pusa-2090 offers the same high yields as Pusa-44 but matures in just 120-125 days, addressing the stubble-burning issue.
- Field Testing: The variety has undergone successful trials in Delhi and Odisha, and Punjab farmers have reported promising results.
- Economic Benefits: Pusa-2090’s potential to match Pusa-44’s yields with a shorter duration makes it an attractive option for farmers.
- Pusa-44 in Punjab: In the current kharif season, Punjab has planted 5.48 lakh hectares with Pusa-44, accounting for over 17% of the state’s total paddy area.
- Long Maturation Period: Pusa-44 takes 155-160 days to mature, delaying the availability of fields for the next wheat crop.
- Stubble Burning: To prepare fields for the next crop, farmers resort to burning the remaining stubble after harvesting Pusa-44, contributing to air pollution.
- Alternative Varieties: While there are alternative varieties like PR-126 with a shorter maturation period, their yields are lower than Pusa-44, impacting farmers’ income.