From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyaya Yojana
Mains level : Various income support mechanisms for farmer
The Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyaya Yojana has been approved by the Chhattisgarh state govt. on 19th death anniversary of the former Prime Minister, yesterday.
Practice question for Mains:
Q. Various income support mechanisms for farmers are more of a populist measure with no impact on ground zero. Critically examine.
Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyaya Yojana
- It is a new income support programme under which Farmers in Chhattisgarh would get up to ₹13,000 an acre a year.
- Rice and maize farmers would get ₹10,000 an acre while sugarcane farmers would get ₹13,000. The money would be distributed in four instalments.
- In the first instalment, ₹1,500 crores would be distributed among 18 lakh farmers, more than 80% of the small and marginal.
- The scheme would cover rice, maize and sugarcane farmers to begin with, and would expand to other crops later.
Benefits of the scheme
- This will help farmers through the agricultural cycle and hopefully help with extension activities.
- The injection of cash among the rural population would generate a demand that shielded Chhattisgarh from the economic slowdown last year.
- This will reduce distress migration, and enhance food security for the State.