From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : FASTER system
Mains level : Resolving judicial pendency
The Supreme Court has given its nod for e-transfer of orders to jails through the FASTER system for quick prisoner release.
What is the FASTER system?
- FASTER is an acronym form Fast and Secured Transmission of Electronic Records.
- The system is meant to ensure that undertrials are not made to wait for days on end behind bars to be released because the certified hard copies of their bail orders took time to reach the prison.
- It is conceived for delivery of orders to concerned prisons, District Courts, High Courts, as the case may be, for instantaneous delivery of orders passed by apex court through a secure communication channel.
- The process to develop the FASTER system began with the CJI’s observations in court on July 16 this year.
- With FASTER, crucial decisions, including orders on bail and stay of arrest, can be communicated electronically to prison authorities and investigating agencies through a secure channel.
- The system would also prevent unnecessary arrests and custody of people even after the court had already granted them its protection.
- It may even communicate a stay on an execution ordered by the final court on time.
UPSC 2022 countdown has begun! Get your personal guidance plan now! (Click here)