From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Section 142
Mains level : Paper 2- Section 142 of social security code
- The Union government has made Aadhaar mandatory for availing social security benefits, and for registration on a national informal workers’ database being developed for migrants.
- The labour ministry has notified section 142 of the social security code.
- It allows authorities to collect Aadhaar details for the database of beneficiaries under various social security schemes.
- The move will be applicable to both formal and informal workers and may also help in curbing duplication of data by keeping imposters at bay, authorities said.
- However, people who don’t have Aadhaar will not be denied of benefits, the ministry claims.
National informal workers’ database
- National database for unorganized workers is at an advanced stage of development by National Informatics Centre.
- The portal is aimed at collection of data for unorganized workers, including migrant workers for the purpose of giving benefits of the various schemes of the government.
- An inter-state migrant worker can register himself on the portal on the basis of submission of Aadhaar alone.
- The Code on Social Security, 2020 is a code to amend and consolidate the laws relating to social security with the goal to extend social security to all employees and workers either in the organised or unorganised or any other sectors.
- The Social Security Code, 2020 brings unorganised sector, gig workers and platform workers under the ambit of social security schemes, including life insurance and disability insurance, health and maternity benefits, provident fund and skill upgradation, etc. The act amalgamates 9 central labour enactments relating to social security.
- To access complete Act, you can click on the link given below: