From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Barn Owl
Mains level : Not Much
With a thriving rat population playing havoc with its coconut yield, the UT of Lakshadweep hires barn owls for help.
Try this PYQ:
Q.The Red Data Books published by the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN) contains lists of:
- Endemic plant and animal species present in the biodiversity hotspots.
- Threatened plant and animal species.
- Protected sites for conservation of nature and natural resources in various countries.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
(a) 1 and 3
(b) 2 only
(c) 2 and 3
(d) 3 only
IUCN status: Least Concerned
- The barn owl is the most widely distributed species of owl in the world and one of the most widespread of all species of birds.
- It is found almost everywhere in the world except for the polar and desert regions, Asia north of the Himalayas, most of Indonesia, and some Pacific islands.
What is Barn?
- A barn is an agricultural building usually on farms and used for various purposes.
- It refers to structures that house livestock, including cattle and horses, as well as equipment and fodder, and often grain.