From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Dr Kotnis and his legacy
Mains level : NA
A bronze statue of Indian doctor Dwarkanath Kotnis is set to be unveiled in China.
Try this PYQ:
Q.A recent movie titled The Man Who Knew Infinity is based on the biography of
(a) S. Ramanujan
(b) S. Chandrasekhar
(c) S. N. Bose
(d) C. V. Raman
Dr. Dwarkanath Kotnis
- He is revered in China for his contributions during the Chinese revolution headed by its founder Mao Zedong and World War II.
- He hailed from Sholapur in Maharashtra came to China in 1938 as part of a five-member team of doctors sent by the Indian National Congress to help the Chinese during World War II.
- He joined the Communist Party of China (CPC) in 1942 and died the same year at the age of 32.
- Kotnis’ medical assistance during the difficult days of the Chinese revolution was praised by Chinese leader Mao Zedong.
- His statues and memorials were also set in some of the Chinese cities in recognition of his services.
A revered personality in China
- Late Chinese leader Mao Zedong was deeply affected by his death.
- Mao wrote in his eulogy that “the army has lost a helping hand; the nation has lost a friend. Let us always bear in mind his internationalist spirit”.
- Kotnis is remembered not only as a symbol inspiring medical students to work hard, but also an eternal bond between the people of China and India.