From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : White-Cheeked Macaque
Mains level : NA
In an important discovery, scientists have recorded presence of White-Cheeked Macaque (Macaca leucogenys) from central Arunachal Pradesh.
- White- Cheeked Macaques are distinct from other macaques found in the region by displaying white cheeks, long and thick hairs on the neck area, and a longer tail.
- The species was discovered in 2015 by a group of Chinese scientists from the Modog region in southeastern Tibet.
- This discovery was considered a significant breakthrough as far as primates are concerned.
Existence in India
- From India, the species has not been sighted or reported after a single incidence of photographic capture from Anjaw district, Arunachal Pradesh in 2015.
- The number of these mammals reported from India stands at 434.
- The significance of the discovery is that it marks a new addition to mammals of India.
- It has NOT been yet included in the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 of India.
- The potential threat to all species of macaques in the landscape is due to hunting by locals for consumption and habitat degradation due to urbanization and infrastructure development.