From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Spirulina Groundnut Chikki
Mains level : NA
The Mysuru-based Central Food Technological Research Institute, CFTRI has developed Spirulina groundnut Chikki that can provide micro-nutrients and boost the immunity of people during this time of the pandemic.
Beware, the Chikki so mentioned has no GI tag. What makes it significant is the Spirulina, a photosynthetic bacteria, which is suitable for human consumption.
Spirulina Groundnut Chikki
- It is a snack that provides good micro-nutrients.
- It has used Spirulina as well as the tasty, nourishing groundnuts to prepare Chikki that is rich in micro-nutrients such as Vitamin A, Beta Carotene and easily digestible algal proteins.
- Other nutritious snacks of CFTRI such as Nutri mango fruit bar and cardamom flavoured water is also part of the food items supplied to the migrant labourers.
- The mango bar is rich with carbohydrates, carotene, Vitamin C and Zinc to improve the immunity.
- Cardamom flavoured water with traditional herbs to have immune booster qualities.
What is Spirulina?
- Spirulina is an organism that grows in both fresh and saltwater.
- It is a type of cyanobacteria, which is a family of single-celled microbes that are often referred to as blue-green algae.
- It is used as a dietary supplement or whole food. It is also used as a feed supplement in the aquaculture, aquarium, and poultry industries.
- Just like plants, cyanobacteria can produce energy from sunlight via a process called photosynthesis.