From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Chief Election Commissioner
Mains level : Not Much
The President has appointed Election Commissioner Sushil Chandra to take over as Chief Election Commissioner.
Chief Election Commissioner
- The Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of India heads the Election Commission of India.
- The ECI is a body constitutionally empowered to conduct free and fair elections to the national and state legislatures and of President and Vice-President.
- This power of the Election Commission of India is derived from Article 324 of the Constitution of India.
- CEC of India is usually a member of the Indian Civil Service and mostly (not necessarily) from the Indian Administrative Service.
His/ Her Removal
- It is very difficult to remove the authority of the Chief Election Commissioner once appointed by the president.
- The two-thirds of the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha need to present and vote against him for disorderly conduct or improper actions.