From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Eat Right Movement
Mains level : Food habits and prevalence of NCDs
Four police stations of New Delhi district have been certified as ‘Eat Right Campus’ by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
Eat Right Campus
- Eat Right India is a flagship mission of FSSAI, which aims at ensuring that the citizens of the country get safe and nutritious food.
- The ‘Eat Right Campus’ initiative led by FSSAI aims to promote safe, healthy and sustainable food in campuses such as schools, universities, colleges, workplaces, hospitals, tea estates etc. across the country.
- The objective is to improve the health of people and the planet and promote social and economic development of the nation.
- The initiative is not mandatory to adopt.
- Benchmarks have been created on four different parameters based on which campuses are evaluated and certified as ‘Eat Right Campus’.
- These parameters include
- Food safety measures, steps to ensure the provision of healthy, Environmentally sustainable food, and Building awareness to make the right food choices.
- These practices include mandatory steps such as licensing and registration of food service providers in the campus and compliance to food safety and hygiene standards as per Schedule 4 of the Food Safety and Standards (FSS) Act, 2006.
Benefits of Eat Right Campus
- It can provide immense benefits to the campus and the individuals on the campus not only in terms of health but also economics.
- Safe, healthy, and sustainable food on the campus would reduce the incidence of food-borne illnesses, deficiency diseases, and non-communicable diseases among the people on the campus.
- This means less absenteeism and loss of working hours and greater wellbeing, motivation, and productivity of people.
- This would also reduce the burden of healthcare costs for the workplace, institution, hospital, jail, or tea estate.
Back2Basics: Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)
- The FSSAI is an autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.
- It has been established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 which is a consolidating statute related to food safety and regulation in India.
- It is responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety.
- It is headed by a non-executive Chairperson, appointed by the Central Government, either holding or has held the position of not below the rank of Secretary to the Government of India.