From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Stockholm+50
Mains level : Not Much
Stockholm+50 conference — a follow-on to the 1972 conference to be held in Stockholm from 2-3 June 2022 is the one that started the environmental movement we see today.
What is Stockholm +50?
- Stockholm +50 is an international environmental meeting hosted by the United Nations General Assembly to be held in Stockholm, Sweden from 2-3 June 2022.
- The theme of Stockholm+50 is “a healthy planet for the prosperity of all – our responsibility, our opportunity.
- In 1972, the UN Conference on the Environment in Stockholm was held, and it was essentially the first conference that managed to address environmental issues on the right level.
- Fifty years later, the United Nations is back in Stockholm to commemorate that important milestone.
Significance: Establishment of UNEP
- In 1972, some 122 countries attended, and participants adopted a series of principles on the environment, including the Stockholm Declaration and Action Plan for the Human Environment.
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) was created as a result of the conference.
What is India’s connection with this?
- Then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in her seminal speech in the conference brought forward the connection between ecological management and poverty alleviation.
- Her call remains as pertinent now as then: “We have to prove to the disinherited majority of the world that ecology and conservation will not work against their interest but will bring an improvement in their lives.”
Why is Stockholm +50 important?
- There was a lot of media attention around COP26 last year where world leaders gathered to continue the work to uphold the actions promised by the Paris Agreement, 2015.
- Later this year, there will be COP27 in Egypt, where organizers will aim to make the conference a radical turning point in international climate efforts.
What will be happening at Stockholm +50?
- The event in the beginning of June will see representatives from around the world gather in Stockholm to discuss how to achieve a sustainable and inclusive future for all.
- Stockholm +50 could usher in a much-needed new boost to environmental awareness and action for the next half-century, just as it did five decades ago.