From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: WFP
Mains level: Not Much
- Japan has donated 69 million dollars to the United Nations World Food Programme to provide vital aid to 28 countries in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia, with the biggest shares of the money earmarked for Yemen and Iraq.
- Japan is one of WFP’s top donors and has contributed $$958 million to the UN agency since 2014.
About World Food Programme
- The World Food Programme (WFP) is the food-assistance branch of the United Nations and the world’s largest humanitarian organization addressing hunger and promoting food security.
- From its headquarters in Rome and from more than 80 country offices around the world, the WFP works to help people who cannot produce or obtain enough food for themselves and their families.
- It is a member of the United Nations Development Group and part of its executive committee.
- WFP has been working in India since 1963, with work transitioning from food distribution to technical assistance since the country achieved self-sufficiency in cereal production.