From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Yaoshang Festival
Mains level : NA
The Yaoshang festival, which is Manipur’s version of Holi, has begun.
- Yaoshang festival is celebrated every year on the full moon of Lamta (February-March) of the Meitei lunar calendar.
- It begins just after sunset followed by Yaosang Mei thaba, also known as Burning of the Straw Hut.
- Children visit neighbours to ask for monetary donations, called nakatheng.
- Yaoshang, unlike Holi, is celebrated with a traditional twist in Manipur.
- During these five days, Manipur comes alive with sporting events during the day and traditional “thabal chongba” dance in the night.
Key feature: Thabal Chongba Dance
- The thabal chongba is a traditional dance of the Meitei, where boys and girls gathered in an open ground and dance in a circle.
- But these days thabal chongba is performed throughout the month of Lamta.